Skip to main content

Bernie Sanders Accused Of Racism For Holding Fried Chicken


Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders has had to endure an abundance of criticism during
his two attempts to enter the Oval Office, such as the cost of his major policy proposals (Medicare For All, $15/hr minimum wage or Universal Childcare etc) and those are legitimate concerns to have and you would hope that Sanders could answer those questions.

However, should you spend far too much time on social media like I do, you’ll soon notice the anti-Sanders enclaves that will use anything and everything, no matter how ridiculous, to hinder his presidential chances - including using the image above to suggest he’s either racially insensitive or just a racist in general. 

As you can see, Sanders is pictured above posing for a photo with a black man while Bernie holds the fried chicken that, we assume, the man cooked. And I don’t see a problem here. Should I? Because I don’t. I could stare at this picture and literally just see two dudes smiling and holding a piece of chicken. 

Should you be part of those anti-Bernie enclaves and you’re searching for anything that will bury this apparently extremely bigoted man, I can maybe see how the “LOOK HE’S HOLDING CHICKEN NEXT TO A BLACK MAN” could work. 

However, there’s a pretty simple story behind the image: the man with Bernie is a supporter, Javier Dykes. Javier is the owner of a café called Red Beans and Rice Jazz Café based in Columbia, South Carolina and they’re posing for a photograph with the food Javier has prepared. 


Here’s a picture Javier himself posted on his personal Twitter account (@JavierDykes), which since the time of posting Javier has pinned the image to the top of his profile and has added a comment saying “#2020winner”. 

In the picture you can see what I assume is chicken to their right and beans to their left, and Sanders obviously held up the chicken in the picture to suggest that Javier can cook excellent food. I mean, he could of held the beans up to the camera but then I’m sure we would all be commenting on his mental capacity. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MSNBC Host Lawrence O'Donnell Explains How The Democratic Party Treats The Left

MSNBC's "The Last Word" host Lawrence O'Donnell describes his politics as a "practical European socialist", which essentially boils down to being a nordic-style social democrat, usually in favour of a mixed economy with a generous welfare state and has defended his positions on MSNBC news shows that typically frown upon stepping outside the neoliberal bubble. O'Donnell is no progressive hero in the context of american politics, sometimes scolding progressive politicians whenever they mildly criticize the Democratic Party, such as when Bernie Sanders tweeted about having to take on the Democratic establishment as well as Republicans, O'Donnell decided to concern troll Sanders by claiming that the Democratic establishment wouldn't pass Sanders' proposals if he wasn't nice to them. Over the course of the last few months an old video of O'Donnell explaining how to move the Democratic Party further left and how the party treats the p...

Conservatives Really Think The FBI Will Be Arresting Ilhan Omar Soon

Following on from an older article we wrote about the frankly laughable lies conservatives like to spread about Ilhan Omar, they seem to have truly outdone themselves now.  Previously, Omar's detractors created easily falsifiable claims about her, claims that could be disproven from a ten second google search and a cursory read, but nevertheless they persist.  This time around, the very same people believe that the FBI are going to literally arrest Omar. The reasoning behind this is that Omar supposedly married her brother, which has of course been repeated by every right-wing 'news' outlet and even President Trump himself repeated the claim at a campaign rally. Of course something as simple as a birth certificate proves this isn't even remotely true. This didn't stop Chuck Woolery and his idiotic following tweeting out an article claiming that Omar had been 'nabbed by the FBI' and simply lapping it up without even questioning how ridiculous they sound.  FB...

About Progressive Political News

Progressive Political News is an independent blog which covers recent political news, mainly focusing on UK and US politics. This may sometimes include news from elsewhere. We have just one writer here currently but are looking to expand and potentially have others contributing to our blog, here's hoping. I'm Joshua Stead and I started Progressive Politics on the 7th of April 2017, as I felt I could provide a worthwhile perspective on the major political goings on and would be able to interest readers with our content. When I began writing the articles I wasn't sure if they were appealing or of substance as it had been my first time trying something like this but the feedback I have gotten has been incredible and it has most definitely enabled me to become a better writer. We would love to become a progressive blog that people will be able to use to form their political opinions on major issues and use it as a source of trustworthy news, much like The Canary or Skwa...